Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Program

What programs are available? 

  • Our department offers three different graduate programs: a Residential Master of Science (M.S.), an Online Master of Science (M.S.), and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
  • Our residential M.S. program shares the same foundational course work as the Ph.D. degree and has a strong focus on preparing its students for a research-focused career in academia, industry and government organizations in the departments three research specialties, patient safety and program evaluation, pharmacoeconomics and pharmacoepidemiology.
  • Our Ph.D. program is aimed at developing independent researchers and scholars in the department’s three research specialties, patient safety and program evaluation, pharmacoeconomics and pharmacoepidemiology. Graduates of the program will develop and direct research programs in universities, in the pharmaceutical industry, and in government organizations.
  • Our online M.S. program program is focused on working professionals who would like to advance their training in one of three specialties in Applied Pharmacoeconomics, Patient Safety in Medication Use, or Pharmaceutical Regulation.

What are your areas of specialty?

  • Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy focuses on three specialties: Pharmacoepidemiology and Safety Sciences, Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research and Pharmaceutical Health Services Research

What research programs are you working on now?

What does your curriculum look like?

  • See information about our core curriculum (shared by both residential M.S. and Ph.D. students).

How many students do you admit each year?

  • The number of students we admit varies every year. We typically provide funding for about five students each year but the total number of students we admit may be slightly higher.

How long does the typical student take to complete the M.S. program? The Ph.D. program?

  • Depending on a student’s specialty area and research interests, the typical M.S. student will take 2 to 2 ½ years to complete their studies. Ph.D. students will average between 4 to 5 years to finish our program.

What kind of job can I expect to get after graduation?

  • Our department offers a variety of specializations. As a result, employment-types depend somewhat on the chosen specialty. Generally our graduates pursue employment in academia, the pharmaceutical industry as well as in contract research, in regulatory agencies, and in research departments across a variety of different organizations involved in healthcare delivery.

My background is in basic science/outside of pharmaceuticals. Can I still apply?

  • A background in basic science would not disqualify someone from the program, but it would be important for the individual to explain why they are considering such a significant change in their focus area. It would also benefit the individual to explain how they would see their career evolve with a Ph.D. from our department. With this said, we do enjoy diversity in our students’ backgrounds, and would certainly consider students with degrees outside of the health sciences, epidemiology, statistics or economics.

Upon admission to the program, how do students go about choosing their research division?

  • In our Ph.D. program, students in their first year are assigned to a temporary advisor in whatever field they think they will concentrate in. They would then spend the first year getting to know the research of the entire faculty and choose a permanent advisor (major professor) at the end of the first year.

Are there minor areas I can add to my M.S. or Ph.D., like a minor in Economics or Health Policy?

  • A student in a Ph.D. can choose a minor field such as economics as long as there is a graduate degree program in that minor discipline. The description of what is required for a minor is contained in the University of Florida Graduate catalog.

Does the POP graduate program have a STEM designation?

  • The University of Florida College of Pharmacy Department of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy offers a STEM-designated Ph.D. program in Pharmaceutical Sciences with a concentration in Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy Research (POP Ph.D.). This program has the Department of Education’s Classification of Instructional Program, or CIP, taxonomy code CIP 51.2010. This code denotes Pharmaceutical Sciences and is a STEM-designated degree program.

Back to the top

Also see: