By Linda Homewood
The University of Florida College of Pharmacy on Feb.16, held its 25th Annual Research Showcase and Awards Recognition day. Keynote Speaker Maria Miralles, Ph.D., a senior pharmaceutical management advisor for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), provided insight into the Global Heath research objectives and funding opportunities for investigators through the USAID. A UF alumna, Miralles received her doctorate in pharmaceutical science in 1992 from the college’s department of pharmaceutical outcomes and policy.
Oral competition winners each receive a $600 cash award, and finalists each receive a $300 cash award. In addition, all awardees receive a commemorative plaque.
Oral Competition Winners
- Daniela Conrado, Pharmaceutics: “Pharmacokinetic-Pharmacodynamic Modeling of Armodafinil: Effects on Electroencephalogram and Neurocognition of Sleep Deprived Adults”
- Rana Montaser, Medicinal Chemistry: “Drugs from the Sea: Chemical and Biological Characterization of Novel Fatty Acid Derivatives from the Guamanian Marine Cyanobacteria Lyngbya spp.”
- Steven Bird, Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy: “Risk of Venous Thromboembolism with Drospirenone: A Population-based Comparative-safety Study”
Oral Competition Finalists
- Yue Liu, Pharmacodynamics: “Involvement of Mitochondrial Complexes in Divalent Manganese-stimulated Release of Hydrogen Peroxide in Microglial Cells”
- Rui Wang, Medicinal Chemistry: “Biological Mode of Action Study of a Small Molecule Inducer of the Antioxidant Response Element”
- Bhargava Kandala, Pharmaceutics: “Design and Analysis of Pharmacodynamic Crossover Studies Conducted to Establish Bioequivalence of Inhaled Corticosteroids”
- Lilibeth Salvador, Medicinal Chemistry: “Novel Bioactive Natural Products from the Marine Cyanobacterium Symploca sp. as Leads for Drug Discovery”
- Efe Eworuke, Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy: “Drug Utilization Patterns for Routine Therapies in Patients with Cystic Fibrosis”
Poster Competition Winners
Winners each receive a $300 cash award.
Professional Student Division
- Joseph Pardo, Shands at the University of Florida: “Analysis of the Time-to-Positivity of Blood Cultures at a Tertiary Care Hospital: Antimicrobial Stewardship Implications”
Graduate Student Division
- Mong-Jen Chen, Pharmaceutics: “A Novel Approach of Regenerative Medicine for the Treatment of Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency”
- Krishnakanth Kondabolu, Medicinal Chemistry: “Preclinical Antipsychotic Efficacy of Novel Phenylaminotetralin (PAT) Analogs Acting at Serotonin 5-HT2 Receptors”
Post-doctoral Fellow Division
- Caitrin McDonough, Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research: “Non-synonymous SNPs in SELE, SELP, and SIGLEC12 Associated with Cardiovascular (CV) Outcomes in the INternational VErapamil SR-Trandolapril STudy GENEtic Substudy (INVEST-GENES)”
This year’s research showcase was made possible through support of these sponsors: Drug & Biotechnology Development, LLC. (Dr. Robert and Maria Bell, class of 1988); Nanotherapeutics, Inc., (Dr. James Talton, class of 1999); Dr. Robert A. and Phyllis Levitt (class of 1961); DENALI BioTechnologies, LLC. (Dr. Maureen McKenzie); Debbie Klapp Memorial Endowment; Dr. David W. Newton (class of 1976); Dr. Gwen (Victoria) DeLeon (class of 1994); Dr. Yan Gong (faculty and class of 2004); Dr. Christian Hampp (class of 2009); Dr. H. Thomas Karnes (class of 1984); Dr. Teresa Kauf (faculty); Dr. Raymond Jurgens (class of 1973); and Dr. James Sacco (class of 2006).