PhD Core Competencies
Below are of core competencies to be attained by all students in our program. Additional competencies are defined by each specialty.
- Theory: Describe foundation of theory of science.
- Research design: Describe essential elements of experimental, quasi-experimental and observational research designs and use them appropriately to address research questions.
- Principles of measurement: Develop instruments to measure research constructs and establish the reliability and validity of the instrument.
- Inferential statistics: Apply basic and advanced parametric and non-parametric statistical methods, including multivariate statistics; determine the appropriate tests and interpret the results of statistical analyses appropriately.
- Communication of research results: Select appropriate means to present research results to target audiences and effectively communicate those results.
- Evaluation of research: Write critical reviews of research reports, manuscripts, and proposals.
- Principles of research ethics: Apply ethical principles in use of human subjects in research.
- Health care organization in the US: Describe issues related to organization, production, consumption, reimbursement, financing, access to, and delivery of health care in the United States.
- The medication use system: Describe the medication use system and its limitations; concepts involved in continuous quality improvement, pharmaceutical care, and other systems approaches to improving drug use.
- The drug product: Describe issues related to development, distribution, and evaluation of the drug product; describe the process of drug development; the evaluation of drug efficacy, effectiveness, safety and costs and regulatory and public policy related to drug approval and withdrawal.
- Behavior of individuals in the medication use system: Examine patient and provider behavior within the medications use process; understand key ethical issues affecting relationships between providers and patients, and describe the role of theory in understanding the use of drugs in society.